The Yeats Memorial Building is a distinctive redbrick Victorian building in the centre of Sligo Town, overlooking the River Garavogue. The Yeats building is dedicated to celebrating the life and work of the national poet of Ireland William Butler Yeats. Located at the west end of the Hyde Park Bridge, the building also serves as the headquarters of the Yeats Society.
The Yeats building, originally a bank, was built in 1895 by the Belfast Banking Company in 1895, which in 1970 became subsumed into the Allied Irish Bank (AIB). On January 24th 1973, AIB donated the building to the Yeats Society.
The Yeats Memorial Building Today
Today, the Yeats building houses permanent displays of photographs, known as Yeats Photographic Exhibition. An Art Gallery features a permanent collection, as well as holding contemporary art exhibitions throughout the year. A library of books and other artefacts of interest to Yeats scholars is also held here. The building is free to the public, and also contains a pleasant cafe.
The Yeats International Summer School
Each August, the International Yeats Summer School is held here. Students of Yeats enjoy daily lectures, readings, and trips to significant sites in the writer's life and works, such as the Lake Isle of Innisfree, located in the region.