The small Georgian style town of Abbeyleix was built in the 1800’s to accommodate the servants associated with the nearby estate of Viscount de Vesci. It exudes the atmosphere of elegance befitting a manor house.
The tree-lined streets contain some buildings from the 1850s, with shop fronts and stone cut buildings unmistakably Irish in style. Later buildings from around 1900 include the Market House and the Hibernian Bank.
There was once a carpet factory located here whose claim to fame was weaving the carpets for the Titanic. Other features include Heritage House, which displays exhibits about the history of Abbeyleix and the DeVesci family. The building formerly housed North Boys School, a Catholic School, while at another location; South School was for operated for Protestants. The Sexton’s house is also open to visitors and has an interesting 19th century interior.
Morrissey’s Pub and Grocery Store, in business since 1755, is one of the main visitor attractions in the town.