Bushy Park in Terenure, a south Dublin suburb, is a family-oriented riverside and woodland park, away from the bustle of the city. It is known for its various outdoor and leisure amenities. These include:
- Sports fields (including soccer and Gaelic games pitches)
- Tennis courts
- Skateboarding and roller skating park
- Duck pond
- Woodland areas
- Walking routes
The 20.5 hectare (51 acre) park is situated across from Terenure College boys' school and stretches to the borders of Rathfarnham and Templeogue. The playground at Bushy Park is a small compared to some other large suburban playgrounds, but for this reason, also quieter and less cramped. The River Dodder runs alongside the park and there is extensive woodland with a walking trail to the banks of the river. Bushy Park also has a duck pond and is said to be a great place for bird watching, with sparrow hawk, tree creeper, and kingfisher the most popularly sighted birds. Many sports clubs and schools use Bushy Park for their team contests, among them the Football Association of Ireland, Terenure Football Club, and Gaelic Football Club Templeogue Synge Street.
The land that is now known as Bushy park was owned by Arthur Bushe of Dangan, County Kilkenny. Bushe Park House and its lands were sold to John Hobson in 1772, but he renamed the "Bushe" house to "Bushy" house. The idea, still current, that the park was named after Bushy Park in London. Abraham Wilkinson was the third owner and he gave the house to his daughter Maria and her husband Robert Shaw, who then sold the property to the Dublin City Council in 1953.
Bushy Park is easily accessed from Dublin city centre within 20 to 30 minutes. By bus, take the bus --- either the 15, 49, 65 or 65B --- from Stephen's Green (Loreto Convent stop) and ask the driver to let you out at Bushy Park. The stop is Templeogue Road.
Bushy Park, Dublin. Image by William Murphy