This centre dedicated to the history and culture of southern County Tipperary is located in a restored Protestant church. The site was formerly occupied by Carrick Mor church, prior to the Reformation. The town itself was originally called Carrig Mac
The town itself was originally called Carrig Mac Griffin, and was actually located on an island until the small rivers surrounding it were diverted, leaving the town only bounded by the Suir.
Its records date back to 1247, when it was occupied by the Bottiler family, whose name later became Butler. The family was responsible for most of the large buildings located in the town, and later, in the 1600s, they initiated the wool industry here.
The following centuries witnessed the development of leather tanning, dairy and manufacturing industries, and the Heritage Centre displays relics of these phases of Carrick on Suir history.
It also features a plate collection from Butler church and a Tourist Information Centre.
The adjoining churchyard contains many older graves, including the monument to Thomas Butler, the illegitimate son of the 10th Earl of Ormond of the same name. Also buried here is Dorothea Herbert, daughter of a rector, who wrote Retrospections. She lived from 1170-1829.