Housed in a 19th century former convent in Ballyjamesduff, the Cavan County Museum opened in June 1996. In the peaceful realm that used to be occupied by the Poor Clare order, the museum traces the history of Cavan from the Stone Age through modern times using a variety of exhibits.
There are a range of permanent exibhits at the museum, housed in different rooms. For example, the Archaeology Room, contains a range of items such as 7,000 year old Neolitihic flint flakes, to various Iron Age tool heads and food containers. Other interesting items include:
- Three beautiful bronze trumpets, dating from 900 - 500 BCE
- The Corlech Stone Head from the 2nd century BCE - a carved piece with three faces
- The original Killycluggin Stone (a replica exists on the site where it was found), believed to be an ancient religious piece associated with fertility
- The Gaelic Athletic Association display, which features memorabilia from indigenous sports dating from the 1880’s to the present
The museum often receives items of local interest on loan from the National Museum in Dublin. An example of an item that has previously been on loan at the museum is the Breac Maedoc (pictured top of page) -- the 11th century Reliquary (a container that originally held bones or other relics) of Saint Madoch.
The Breac Maedoc. Image: Gerard Lovett
Coravilla stone head, found in Shercock, Cavan. Image: Gerard Lovett