Clonmel is the county town of Tipperary in southeastern Ireland and is widely known as a popular centre for shopping. It is also the largest town in Ireland that is not a port or harbour.
Clonmel is first mentioned in Irish historical records in 1185 as a manor ruled by Lord William Fitzadlem de Burgo. The town was fortified in 1319, using money authorized by Edward II. In 1650, Cromwell’s forces tried in vain for nearly three weeks to gain entry into Clonmel before finally succeeding.
The town contains some architecturally interesting buildings, including:
• St. Mary’s Church of Ireland – a 13th century structure named in honour of Our Lady of Clonmel.
• The 1674 Courthouse Building
• The Franciscan Friary
• Town Hall Many of the lovely older buildings around town are former churches that have been altered for use as theatres, galleries and for other public purposes.
The County Museum and St. Patrick’s Church are also popular attractions for visitors to Clonmel. The latter features an interesting old stone cross next to the medieval church building, as well as a thriving spring known as St. Patrick’s Well.