Inscription on one of the historic tree pieces at Croppies Grave. Croppies Grave is a pretty monument of national historic interest. Located in Carlow Town, a replica of an ancient Celtic high cross erected on the site of a sand pit, where bodies of where the bodies of slain Irish independence fighters were buried.
History of Croppies Grave
- In 1798, while the struggle for Irish independence from England was waged, the Battle of Carlow was fought
- In Carlow Town, young men known as United Irishmen cropped their hair in a gesture of solidarity before the fighting began
- After the battle, 640 of them were buried in a mass grave, which can still be seen today
- Two trees mark the spot, part of a trio planted by a widowed mother of three of the croppies
- The third tree was shattered by a storm -- but its pieces remain and bear an inscription to commemorate the bravery and integrity of the croppies