The dense, unspoiled woodlands of Drumboe are a special place of natural beauty in this wild part of northwest Ireland. The woods are located on the outskirts of Stranorlar and its "twin town" Ballybofey -- one town leads into the other.
Drumboe is maintained by Coillte, the state agency responsible for forestry -- in this case cultivating Scots pine, spruce, larch,and birch trees. The River Finn passes quietly through this untouched area, and a small bridge passes over the water, leading into the twin towns.
Flora and Fauna
- The woods are filled with a wide variety of plants, trees, and many species of birds.
- Numerous small animals make their home here as well, including foxes, field mice, squirrels, rabbits and badgers.
- The riverbanks and clearings are cloaked in the blooms of wildflowers, bluebells, primrose, and wood anemones.
- Drumboe Woods also contains its share of bats -- a protected species in Ireland. There are seven species on record in the entire country and three of these are represented here.
The ruins of a large, castellated Georgian home and earlier fortification on the same site, known as Drumboe Castle, can still be found in the woods. Drumboe Castle is best known as the location of the execution of the Drumboe Martyrs -- four republican soldiers -- during the Irish Civil War, in 1923.
The large house once had three stories, an impressive bay frontage and large number of rooms and fireplaces. By the twentieth century, the house had fallen into disrepair and it was (mostly!) demolished by the state in 1945.
Drumboe Woods Entrance. Image: Drumboe Woods
Drumboe Castle. Image by Drumboe Woods.