Eyre Square is the site of the crossroads of the Galway area and Galway city. It contains a number of attractions on the east shore of the River Corrib. Kennedy Park is located on the green lawn portion of the square, named after the late American president, who visited here in June of 1963. At the entrance to the park sits the Browne Doorway, taken from Browne family townhouse in 1905.
This ornate structure is capped with a "Marriage Stone", a plaque symbolizing the union of the families Browne and Lynch in marriage in the 17th century by displaying the coats of arms of both families. These stones were historically common in Galway city, and reproductions can be seen at various locations around town. Eyre Square also features a few examples of noteworthy sculpture, such as the copper replicas of the sails of a Galway Hooker, a fishing boat once responsible for much of the area's livelihood.
Next to the sculpture stands the figure of Padraic O'Conaire, born nearby in 1882 and instrumental in the Irish language revival at the turn of the past century. Also in Eyre Square sit the bronze cannons awarded to the Connaught Rangers, a local regiment that served in the British army in the Crimean War of 1853-56.