Located near the Spanish Arch, the museum was founded in 1976. Its structure was formerly a private house, home to sculptress Clare Sheridan. The museum site is also located near the place where the original city docks were built in 1270. In addition to the Spanish Arch, there were three others - only the Blind Arch remains. The missing two arches were located at the spot where the museum now stands. A speculation is that the Arches were used to store imported goods and avoid taxation. Galway City Museum contains a variety of Irish artifacts from historical events, including the Connaught Rangers, the Civil War, and the Insurrection of 1916. Also housed here are maps of the area, old mirrors, medieval stonework, coats of arms, sketches and paintings, examples of early candles and a replica of a musical instrument from about 1200 B.C. known as a Galway Bronze Age Horn. Fishing mementoes include preserved trout and fishing tackle. Items representative of Galway's past include tools, typewriters, drawings and engravings.