Situated on the South West Coast of Cork, is the picturesque harbour town of Kinsale. This popular fishing port , nestled between the hills and the seafront, is a maze of colourful buildings and narrow winding streets. The perfect place for exploring, the medieval streetscape has remained largely unchanged over the last thousand years.
Food Capital of Ireland
Known as the gourmet capital of Ireland, Kinsale is famous for its fresh fish and seafood. It has a wide variety of restaurants to suit all taste buds, at least 30 pubs and a wide selection of accommodation.
Things to Do in Kinsale
- Kinsale is a popular place for leisure activities such as
- Sea angling
- Dolphin and whale watching trips
- There are also a number of art galleries and craft shops scattered around the tow.
- A number of regattas and festivals take place in the summer months
Places to Visit in Kinsale
- Charles Fort which offers guided tours
- Desmond Castle (now a wine Museum)
- The museum at the old Courthouse
- St Multoise Church (which is still in use)
- The Almshouses
- The Lusitania was sunk off the Head of Kinsale in 1915, and a visit here is recommended for the outstanding cliff top views
A garrison town for over 300 years, the Battle of Kinsale was fought in 1601 and was a turning point in Irish history. The harbour is guarded by two fortresses built in the 17th century.