Situated near Quin, County Clare, Knappogue Castle, or Caislean na Cnapoige, means "the castle of the place abounding in little hills". It is one of Ireland’s most beautifully restored and maintained 15th century castles. A short distance to the northwest of the castle is a pretty Victorian walled garden.
- Knappogue Castle was built in 1467 by the Mc Namara family, a prestigious local clan who held onto ownership of the property until 1815 – aside from a brief period of a decade or so during Cromwellian times
- Local revolutionary forces used the castle during the War of Independence in the 1920s
The tower house is the only area identified as original construction The castle has been restored and is beautifully furnished and decorated in medieval style, including exquisite wood panelling and decorative fireplaces
Create in 1817, the 1.76 acre garden park has been recently restored. Features include
- arched entrance with keystone
- climbing roses
- fig trees
- various fruit
Banquets at Knappogue Castle
Knappogue Castle is the setting for medieval banquets from April to October. These events feature period entertainment in the form of singing, dancing and storytelling. On a typical evening, staff members appear in costumes to greet guests, and move to Dalcassian Hall for a drink of mead, or honey wine, accompanied by the music of a harp or fiddle. Visitors take part in a four-course meal of period food, with choral music and other entertainment. The castle and grounds are floodlit in the evening, creating a beautiful medieval atmosphere.
Knappogue Castle. Image by gengish skan