In 1832, the Clements, also known as the Earls of Leitrim, began building a remarkable estate on a scenic isthmus between loughs Rynn and Erew.
Humans have occupied the surrounding area since prehistoric times, and there is plenty of proof located on this particular property. Behind the manor house, there are several ruins to be explored, including those of a Neolithic Era tomb on a rise called Druid’s Hill that dates back to 2000 BC. Also on the grounds are the visible remains of Reynolds’ Castle, a structure from the late 16th century that sits on the shore of the lake. It was once occupied by the Reynolds clan, and then by the Crofton family during the plantation period. The property passed to the Earls of Leitrim in the 1750s. By the time of the Third Earl of Leitrim, William Sydney Clements, the estate had grown to include 90,000 acres situated in four of the adjoining counties.
Lough Rynn House Today
Today, the estate is considerably smaller, encompassing 100 acres of the countryside. It is a composite of woodlands, pastures, lakes and gardens, including an extraordinary three-acre formal walled and terraced garden – created in 1859 in the style of a Victorian pleasure garden. A tour of the house and its grounds reveals a greenhouse, sawmills and a farmyard. A 400-year-old oak tree lends its ambience to the grounds, and the arboretum features such exotic species as California redwood and a variety of tulip trees. The estate offers many amenities for day visitors, including boat trips on the nearby lakes, a restaurant and souvenir shop, and a beautiful playground facility for the children.
Lough Rynn House is located just outside Mohill, approx. 4 kilometres from the N4, the main Dublin-Sligo road.