Located in Monaghan Town, this centre tells the inspiring story of the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Louis, a religious order that served people throughout Monaghan County during the latter part of the 1800s.
The order was founded in Juilly, France, by Baroness de Vaux, Mother Therese of the Cross, in 1842. Its intended purpose was to educate French children of noble lineage, and evolved to include the education of poor children in Europe, South America and Africa.
Its namesake was Louis IX, the sainted King, and the Sisters of St. Louis also used his traditional symbols and designs, including the gold flame and fleur-de-lis.
The sisters came to Ireland in 1859 and proceeded to establish schools where they taught sanctification and salvation along with the everyday basics of reading, writing and mathematics.
They worked to advance the cultural awareness of their students along with their level of education.
The Heritage Centre in Monaghan Town contains evidence of their legacy in the region in the form of documentation, scrapbooks, artifacts and other memorabilia. It also contains exhibits related to the order’s efforts to advance education and health care in Brazil, West Africa, California and several other countries in Europe.
Craftwork is also on display, including items from Africa and Brazil, as well as traditionally local Carrickamoss Lace, along with Beleek China and crocheted items from Clones.