Save $20 when you spend $100 or more using code ACOOL20 at checkout
LoginorRegister
Cart
Your cart is empty
Total $0.00
View Cart Proceed To Checkout   All transactions take place in $USD at current exchange rate

Aran Inspired

Church Island

 Church Island, also known as Shrine Island, is located in the northwest portion of Lough Carra. According to local folklore, it was initially used as a burial place for kings. Archeological data indicates that human life existed here as long ago as 3000 B.C.

Read full article
St. Theresa’s Church

This charming 18th century church is hidden away on a side alley off Grafton Street, Dublin's busiest thoroughfare. This church, begun by the Discalced Carmelites --- also known as the Barrefoot Carmelites --- has a history of service to the people of Dublin spanning more than two centuries. While the granite exterior is less impressive than some other Dublin church façades, the church's cruciform interior is both impressive and pristinely maintained.

Read full article
John’s Lane Church

Located in the Liberties district on Thomas St., this distinctive red sandstone and granite building is commonly known as John's Lane Church. In fact, its correct name is the Church of St. John the Baptist and St. Augustine --- a bit of a mouthful! Little wonder that locals preferred to name it after its location at the corner of John's Lane, a steep and narrow side-street. It is served by the Augustinian Order of monks and is a fully functioning Catholic church with all associated services.

Read full article
St. Anne's Church and Shandon Bells Tower

This popular Cork City landmark, visible across the area, was built in 1722. Also called Shandon Church, its steeple holds eight distinctive bells of the same name, for which the poem by Francis Mahony was written.

Read full article
St Finbarr's Cathedral

Saint Finnbar's Cathedral, also known as Fin Barre's Anglican Cathedral, is an impressive Church of Ireland cathedral located in the centre of Cork city. The founder of Cork City chose the site of this 1880 church to build his original church and school around the year 650.

Read full article
St. Mary's Pro Cathedral

St. Mary's Pro Cathedra is the main Catholic parish church of Dublin City centre, situated on a back-street, one block east of O'Connell Street. St. Mary's has the unusual status of pro-Cathedral, meaning "temporary" or "acting" Cathedral". The Cathedral was built in 1825, at a time when Catholics still had few rights in the city, where power was held by the ruling Protestant elite.

Read full article
St. Anne's Cathedral / Belfast Cathedral

St Anne's Cathedral, also known as Belfast Cathedral, was erected at the turn of the 20th century upon the site of the original of St Anne's Parish Church. Outside, the Cathedral is attractive without being overly ornate, while the interior is definitely worth a visit.

Read full article
Christ Church Cathedral, Waterford City

This 18th century cathedral in Waterford City is considered one of Ireland’s finest neoclassical Georgian structures. The current building replaced the original Neo Gothic cathedral built by Bishop Cheneix. Some of its most appealing features include Corinthian columns and the elegant yellow paint color, trimmed in white with intricate floral and laurel designs. The cathedral’s windows are made of clear glass only, as the bishop at the time of construction was not fond of the traditional stained glass.

Read full article
Holy Trinity Cathedral, Waterford City

This Roman Catholic house of worship was designed and built during the late 18th century, a particularly difficult and turbulent period for the religion in Irish history. It is widely known as the oldest Roman Catholic Cathedral in Ireland and the only one that is decidedly Baroque in style. It is an elegant and ornate structure, complete with vaulted ceilings, ornamental pillars, and the added embellishment of authentic Waterford Crystal chandeliers.

Read full article
Saint Eunan's Cathedral

With its 212-foot high spire, Saint Eunan's Cathedral towers over the town of Letterkenny, County Donegal. Especially beautiful at night when lit, the cathedral is fashioned in ornate Gothic style and was built in 1901 from white Donegal sandstone. William Hague of Dublin was the designer. The cathedral's interior features breathtaking ceiling art and mosaic floors created by Signor Amici of Rome, and the main and side altars are carved from Italian marble. Decorations on the nave arch are beautifully detailed, depicting the life and times of St. Eunan and St. Columba.

Read full article