Save $20 when you spend $100 or more using code ACOOL20 at checkout
LoginorRegister
Cart
Your cart is empty
Total $0.00
View Cart Proceed To Checkout   All transactions take place in $USD at current exchange rate

Aran Inspired

Enniskillen Town Hall

The copper dome of the town hall clock tower can be seen from anywhere in the town of Enniskillen. It stands on a hilltop, a landmark in the county town and commerce centre of Fermanagh. Designed and built in renaissance style, the front of the building is made from dark limestone, while the bright cream Dungannon sandstone columns, cornices, and statues provide a decorative contrast to the appearance of the exterior. The finishing touch is applied by the hand carved oak main entrance doors. Inside, the lobby features a finely detailed floor mosaic that depicts the Enniskillen coat of arms. It survived a bomb blast in 1972, unlike the remainder of the floor, which had to be replaced.

Read full article
Harriet the Ghost of Charleville Castle

The huge staircase of crumbling old Charleville Castle is reportedly visited by the ghost of a young girl named Harriet. The legend, passed down through generations of the local people in County Offaly, goes as follows: Harriet was the youngest daughter of the third Earl of Charleville. On April 8th, 1861, she was sent upstairs to wash her hands before eating. In a playful mood, the Earl's daughter thought it would be fun to make a grand entrance on her return down the stairs, by sliding down the balustrade. To the horror of her parents, Harriet's prank did not fare well, as she lost her grip and crashed to the hard floor, meeting an untimely end. Visitors have felt the chill of her presence while climbing the stairs, and have seen her ghostly figure skipping past. Some people claim they have heard a small girl singing during the night, laughing, screams.

Read full article
Caldragh Idols

On Boa Island on Lough Erne, in the mournful Caldragh graveyard, stand two unique carved stone idols, reminiscent of the era before Christianity reached the shores of Ireland. These two-sided figures, named Janus and Lustymore, were not always together, but were placed side-by-side here in 1939, presumably because of their similarity. Though the graveyard itself dates from the early Christian period, scholars believe that both figures independently depict pagan gods that worshipped during or before those times.

Read full article