Save $20 when you spend $100 or more using code ACOOL20 at checkout
LoginorRegister
Cart
Your cart is empty
Total $0.00
View Cart Proceed To Checkout   All transactions take place in $USD at current exchange rate

Aran Inspired

Rathcrogan and Glenballythomas Earthworks

A grouping of ancient earthworks that covers nearly two square miles, this ancient site includes ring forts and a large mound that may actually be a passage tomb similar to the Mound of the Hostages at Tara in County Meath. There are a number of enclosures that also appear to be tombs. One is said to be that of King Dathi, the last of the pagan kings of Ireland. It is marked by a standing stone nearly seven feet tall. Megalithic tombs of several varieties are common to this area as well.

Read full article
Tymon Park and Playgrounds

Dublin's second largest park, Tymon Park is a popular facility for children's play, sports, exercise, socialising and relaxing. In addition to paths for walking, jogging and dog walking (leads are required), it features several playing pitches for field sports such as Gaelic games and soccer.

Read full article
Killykeen Forest Park

Killykeen Forest Park is a beautiful mixed woodlands park, comprising 600 acres, woven around the lake and islands of Lough Oughter (pronounced Ooter).

Read full article
Derry City Walls

The old defensive walls surrounding the City of Derry are one if its main attractions. Extending one mile in circumference, they reach to 26 feet high and 30 feet wide in places. Derry is the only city in Ireland or the UK with a fully intact perimeter wall. Derry's walls dominate the centre of the city -- you can't miss them. There are now eight gates (entrances through the wall) to the city, up from the original four. 24 cannon used in the 1689 siege of Derry, and restored in 2005, are still visible. Alongside each cannon is a plaque, listing its origin and manufacturer.

Read full article
Ferriter's Castle

Now little more than a stump, this ruin of what was once a 15th century fortified tower house is beautiful due to its spectacular location near a cliff edge on the western tip of the Dingle Peninsula. Situated near Dingle golf club, 2 miles / 3 km to the northwest of Ballyferriter village in County Kerry, the castle's crumbling state adds to its postcard charm. Also known as Castle Sybil, Ferriter’s Castle was once the main family home of the Ferriter family, who controlled the western part of the Dingle peninsula, as well as the Blasket Islands. The castle is perhaps most famous for being the birthplace of Kerry poet and warrior Pierce Ferriter, the last Gaelic chieftain to hold out against Cromwell's New Model Army.

Read full article
Carrowmore Megalithic Burial Ground

More than 200 megalithic monuments once stood on this site, located to the west of Sligo Town. Both man and nature have destroyed many of the passage tombs and dolmens over the years, but today there are still about 40 burial sites to be explored in this ancient cemetery, spread out over roughly 40 acres of land. Carrowmore is both the oldest and largest burial ground in Ireland, dating back to prehistoric times.

Read full article
Saint Eunan's Cathedral

With its 212-foot high spire, Saint Eunan's Cathedral towers over the town of Letterkenny, County Donegal. Especially beautiful at night when lit, the cathedral is fashioned in ornate Gothic style and was built in 1901 from white Donegal sandstone. William Hague of Dublin was the designer. The cathedral's interior features breathtaking ceiling art and mosaic floors created by Signor Amici of Rome, and the main and side altars are carved from Italian marble. Decorations on the nave arch are beautifully detailed, depicting the life and times of St. Eunan and St. Columba.

Read full article
Leighlinbridge Black Castle

The original Black Castle, located in the pretty village of Leighlinbridge, County Carlow, was once one of the finest Norman fortresses in Ireland. Also intact is a Valerian stone bridge, believed to be one of the oldest functioning bridges in Europe. Standing at the side of this bridge on the village's main street, and overlooking the River Barrow, all that remains of the Black Castle today is the west half of a 14th century tower, along with part of the bawn.

Read full article
St. Brigid’s Cathedral

On the grounds of this 12th and 19th century Norman church, it is believed that the Celts worshipped their goddess Brigid. Over the centuries, with the arrival of Christianity, St. Brigid, Viking pillagers and national conflicts, it evolved into the Cathedral honoring the second most popular saint in Ireland, St Brigid. The site has survived as a place of worship, in one form or another, for nearly 1500 years. The Celtic goddess for whom the Christian St. Brigid was named represented art, poetry, the bounty of the earth, and healing.

Read full article
Dún a Rí Forest Park

One of Ireland's Government-protected Forest Parks, Dún a Rí (pronounced Doon A Ree) lies in a tranquil glen near the town of Kingscourt, County Cavan. Also known as Dún Na Rí  or Dún An Rí, the name loosely means "the King's Fort".

Read full article