Save $20 when you spend $100 or more using code ACOOL20 at checkout
LoginorRegister
Cart
Your cart is empty
Total $0.00
View Cart Proceed To Checkout   All transactions take place in $USD at current exchange rate

Aran Inspired

Ghost of The Lady's Stairs

The lady that was gruesomely killed on November 4, 1853 is believed to forever haunt Ardgillan Castle in North County Dublin. Louisa Connolly, wife of Baron Langford, was a guest of the Reverend Taylor and his wife Marrianne at Ardgillan Castle. She was to stay there while her husband, the Reverend's nephew, was in Scotland on a grouse shooting trip . On the last evening of her stay, Lady Langford requested her servant Charlotte Bates to fetch her bathing clothes.  She was a strong swimmer and enjoyed go a daily swim at nearby Barnageera, even in winter.

Read full article
Linen Hall Library

On the northwest corner of Donegal Square, opposite Belfast City Hall, sits the Linen Hall Library -- a private collection founded in 1788. The library is housed in a beautiful building designed by renowned architect and former mayor of Belfast, Charles Lanyon. The Linen Hall Library offers a variety of services, and prides itself on being a centre for culture and learning. It is FREE to visit and for public reference use (borrowing is restricted to members).

Read full article
Half-Hanged Mc Naghten

According to the story, John McNaghten (spelled various other ways, including McNaughton, McNaghtan and McNaughten) was from a privileged background but had got embroiled in gambling debt. He was also a childhood friend of Andrew Knox, owner of the Prehen House and Estate in County Derry in the mid-1700s.

Read full article
Workhouse Museum and Waterside Library

On the east side of Derry/Londonderry city, the Derry Workhouse Museum is located in a building that was established in 1832 to alleviate poverty. Adjoining the museum is Waterside Libbrary.

Read full article
Prehen House and Estate

This Early Georgian Style manor house is located in a picturesque area outside the city of Derry. The estate is made up of 3, 641 acres adjacent to protected woodlands and features glorious views of the city and the River Foyle, and surrounding areas.

Read full article
Leamaneh Castle

Leamaneh Castle is the imposing ruin of a mansion house located between Corofin and Kilfenora in the region known as The Burren in County Clare. Built around 1480, and alternatively spelled as "Leamanagh" Castle, it was originally a five-story tower house. These fortified homes, with castellated features, were popular with Norman gentry in the western regions of Ireland during the middle ages. The castle stands on the corner of a three-way intersection on the southern end of the Burren, where limestone is plentiful. The tower has a spiral staircase, small chambers, and narrow windows that are little more than slits. In 1902, the gates were removed from Leamaneh and taken to Dromoland Castle, as the manor home had fallen into disrepair.

Read full article
Charleville Forest Castle

The castle is open to the public and is currently funded by a charitable trust under the direction of Dudley Stuart. It occupies 30 acres of land that includes gardens as well as densely wooded areas. The castle building was designed by Francis Johnston, and Charles Bury was the original owner. Johnston was responsible for several classic Georgian buildings in Dublin, including the General Post Office. The exterior of the building is dominated by stately turrets and a flag tower, and features many mullioned windows. A large window located above the main entrance is the focal point of the façade. Inside, the rooms are gigantic, including the dining room designed by William Morris that still bears its original stenciled wallpaper.

Read full article
Harriet the Ghost of Charleville Castle

The huge staircase of crumbling old Charleville Castle is reportedly visited by the ghost of a young girl named Harriet. The legend, passed down through generations of the local people in County Offaly, goes as follows: Harriet was the youngest daughter of the third Earl of Charleville. On April 8th, 1861, she was sent upstairs to wash her hands before eating. In a playful mood, the Earl's daughter thought it would be fun to make a grand entrance on her return down the stairs, by sliding down the balustrade. To the horror of her parents, Harriet's prank did not fare well, as she lost her grip and crashed to the hard floor, meeting an untimely end. Visitors have felt the chill of her presence while climbing the stairs, and have seen her ghostly figure skipping past. Some people claim they have heard a small girl singing during the night, laughing, screams.

Read full article
The World's First Ever Witch Trial - The Ghost of Kilkenny

Dame Alice de Kyteler (or Kettle, as the name would be known today) was born in Kilkenny in 1280, the only child of a prominent Hiberno-Norman family. Born at Kyteler's House, now known as Kyteler's Inn, the noblewoman and her servant Petronella were involved in the world's earliest recorded witch trial. Dame de Kyteler outlived no less than four husbands. The last of the husbands, John le Poer became sick in 1324. Realising he was dying, he changed his will to make sure his wife would be compensated.

Read full article
Muckross Abbey

Muckross Abbey, or the Franciscan Friary of Irrelagh, was founded for the Observatine Franciscans in 1448, and is the burial place of local chieftains and three Gaelic poets. It is famous for the large ancient yew tree that rises above the cloister and extends over the abbey walls. Some think the abbey was built around the tree, as yews are seen in Irish lore as a tree of life and linked to the immortality of the soul. The abbey is the main religious site to be seen in Killarney National Park, Kerry. It has suffered a violent history and has been damaged and reconstructed many times.

Read full article