Sacred Heart Church is the most prominent building in the town of Roscommon. It is made entirely of local stone. Construction began in 1903 and was completed in 1925.
The spire of the church rises 25 m and seems even taller as the building stands atop a small hill. The front is adorned by a small, sunken grotto.
Above the front entrance, there is an extraordinary mosaic that includes the images of two bishops responsible for the construction of the church. It was designed and executed by an Italian group called Salviate.
Inside, there is a replica of the famous Cross of Cong that dates back to 1123.